Sunday, March 2, 2008

Dr. Norman Vincent Peale, Freemason


What Freemasonry Means To Me
The Reverend Dr. Norman Vincent Peale, 33°

I recently received a letter in which the writer asked: "Why are you a Freemason?" The question caused me to think and reaffirm my feelings about Masonry.

At first I thought about my own forebears. My grandfather was a Mason for 50 years, my father for 50 years, and I have been a Mason for 60 years. This means that my tie with Freemasonry extends back to 1869 when my grandfather joined the Masons.

My feelings on my first entrance into a Masonic Lodge are very clear in memory. I was a young man and it was a great thrill to kneel before the altar of the Lodge to become a Freemason. This must have been the same feeling my father and grandfather experienced before me. And it must also have been identical to the one that many great leaders of America and the world felt as they became Masons. Prominent among this select group are George Washington, Harry Truman, and 12 other Presidents as well as countless statesmen and benefactors of humanity.

So I found myself thinking: "What does Freemasonry mean to me?" Of course Masons say that Freemasonry actually begins in each individual Mason's heart. I take this to mean a response to brotherhood and the highest ideals. I recall the story of a man who came to me once and said: "I see that you are a Freemason. So am I." As we talked, he told me of an experience he had years ago. It seems that he joined the Masonic Fraternity shortly after he became 21 years old. When he was stationed in the military, he decided to attend various Lodge meetings. On his first visit to a Lodge in a strange city, he was a bit nervous. One thought was constantly in his mind; could he pass the examination to show that he was a Mason? As the committee was carefully examining his credentials, one of the members looked him squarely in the eye and said: "Obviously you know the Ritual, so you can enter our Lodge as a Brother Mason. But I have one more question. Where were you made a Mason?" With that he told the young visitor to think about it because when he knew the answer the examiner would not have to hear it. He would see it in his eyes. My friend told me that after a couple of minutes a big smile came to his face and he looked at the examiner, who said: "That's right, in your heart."

6 comments:

baruch hashem said...

shame on you

charles allan said...

Masonry is occult - worship of the devil. It is Egyptian mumbo jumbo
and flee from it .

John said...

If you can reach beyond the ignorance and prejudice and take time to learn about Freemasonry you will find out that you are totally wrong.

Unknown said...

...as I was ringing up the bill for the students books at the cash register I noticed the Masonic ring on the customer hand. I then said "I see you have traveled". Yes, the reply comes back...but, I have not been to the East yet. We shook hands. I knew immediately.

So mote it be,

Dl hof

Unknown said...

Well said

Blogger Margaret said...

Good day! I hope you all and your families are safe? The Covid-19 situation is really getting worst all over the globe, we all pray to almighty god to strength us, so that we can stay alive to testify, I brought good news that everyone can benefit from and also help the privilege, if you are a good kindest person, that also want to make the world a better place to live, now the freemasonry society are selecting the kindest people that are interested to join the society, and the good part is that freemasonry society they don't involved their self into evil things, they are not like the illuminati society, freemasonry society believe in god, they are grouped of people that come together to evaluate people and others original condition, once you become a member of the society they have sitting amount of benefit that we be given to you as the new member, and you should use 10% of the benefit to assist the privilege, and summit the credential to the lordship, I urge you if you have interest, find the official contact address below, you can be one of the lucky random, everyone has inside them a piece of good news, the good news is you don’t know how great you can be! How much you can love! What you can accomplish! And what your potential is, stay strong, stand up, have a voice. 

WhatsApp; +31 687329133
Mail Address; info.masonic.oregon@gmail.com