Sunday, September 28, 2008

Dewey Readmore Books



Yesterday I purchased a book that has really touched my heart: "Dewey Readmore Books...the Small Town Library Cat That Touched the World." I read about this book in last Sunday's Des Moines Register and it just so happened that my local book store had it in the front window yesterday when I walked by, so I could not resist.

Dewey, a beautiful orange colored cat was the "resident in charge" of the Spencer Community Library. Someone had deposited him in the night drop back on a cold winter night in January of 1988. He was rescued by the library director and for the next 18 years he was the "king" of Spencer's library.

It was a very touching biography of a wonderful animal that touched the hearts of literally thousands of people not only just in Spencer, Iowa but also around the world as he became famous around the globe and his story was told in many lands abroad.

I have to admit that I laughed in some places and cried in others reading this book. I have a real soft spot in my heart when it comes to animals. I know without a doubt that they understand us far more than we understand them. The old saying "mans' best friend" applies to not only just dogs, but also to cats and other animals as well. I lost my dog a couple of years ago and in August I lost my cat. Princess and I definately communicated. She knew she was loved very much.

I have been doing a lot of soul searching lately about getting a new pet. I keep going to the animal rescue league (I want to bring them all home). My wife is not an animal lover and I guess that is what makes the decision harder. I would like to have another dog, but I am gone a lot so maybe that is not fair to a dog. I have always had an animal as part of my life (ever since my first dog at age 10). Even before that I remember going to my grandparent's farm and always playing with the baby farm animals and the kittens. God put those little four legged friends on earth to help ease some of the pains and cares of our daily lives and to bring us joy.

Dewey...you touched another heart today. Your work continues reaching out and bring happines and joy. May you rest in peace, my friend.

No comments: